Climate change is a ginormous issue, so it’s easy to get discouraged when it comes to fighting it. However, there are countless things you can do at home to help. Some of these things not only help fight climate change, but can also save you time and money.
- Turn Off Your Lights
According to NSTAR,”29% of energy use in non-residential buildings is used for lighting. If you turn off the lights whenever you leave a room, you can reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 0.15 pounds per hour.” Instead of turning lights on during the day, consider letting natural light in by opening the window. In the long run, you’ll be saving light bulbs, money, and the planet.
- Save water
Only 2% of the earth’s water is safe for human consumption, and that same water is being polluted. To prevent people from getting sick, this water is pumped and filtered 24/7 to meet the needs of everyone. On average, 2 gallons of water flow through a faucet each minute. Simply turning off the faucet while you brush your teeth can save up to 4 gallons of water per person a day. This would eventually add up to over 1,000 gallons of water a year. Not wasting water saves you money and helps fight climate change.
- Consider Purchasing Solar Panels
Solar power is a 100% clean, renewable energy source. As long as the sun is out, your home will be powered, without releasing any greenhouse gases. The average savings for a New Jersey resident over 20 years is $23,000.
- Ride a Bike or Walk More
Walking and/or riding a bike releases no greenhouse gases, reduces noise pollution, and reduces congestion. It provides a great workout for your whole body. Not to mention, it’s fun!
One of the easiest ways to help the environment is to vote for candidates who will actively help fight climate change. Especially this year with the upcoming presidential election, it has never been more important to get out there and vote!
- “Important Announcement.” Sustainability Turn Off The Lights Comments, www.bu.edu/sustainability/what-you-can-do/ten-sustainable-actions/turn-off-the-lights/.
- “Help & Advice.” South Staffs Water, www.south-staffs-water.co.uk/help-and-advice/read/how-does-saving-water-help-the-environment-200100000002621.
- Nov. 6, 20158:28 PM Facebook Twitter Show more sharing options Share. “Tap Water Can Add up to Big Waste.” Tribune, San Diego Union-Tribune, 7 Nov. 2015, www.sandiegouniontribune.com/lifestyle/sdut-saving-water-brushing-teeth-2015nov06-story.html.
- ECF, ecf.com/news-and-events/news/how-much-co2-does-cycling-really-save.